My dear blog serves as an archive for my work.Please go to my instagram page for up to date images.

My photo
I am an artist living and working in the West of Ireland. I make drawings,clothes,ZINES and artists books,short films and beloved objects. I have a stall at the Saturday Galway Market (from early february approx through till the last saturday before christmas) ...... if you would like to contact me further please email queenjaneosullivan (at)gmail(dot)com Thanks for visiting !

Monday, May 30, 2011

Leonora Carrington ( a thousand thank yous ) 1917-2011

image by Katy Horna
image is taken from this book surreal friends which has been on my wish list for ages ....about the painters Leonora Carrington, Remedios Varo and the photographer Katy Horna

It doesnt surprise me one bit that it was via my dear friend painter Laura Ferraras blog that I was to learn of the death just a few days ago of one of my most inspiring artist heroes the surrealist Leonora Carrington.
I have just spent two and half hours (and I had planed an early night !) reading and watching rare footage of this most fascinating artist who lived to 94 , working up till the last.
I felt a connection to her that I cannot explain and often dreamt of writing and telling her this , like I often imagine having tea with Kiki Smith :).......
well what can I say but look her up if you are not familiar with her work , and her life which has inspired many short films and documentaries.
She was a brave artist (I hope to be that too)

1 comment:

annamaria potamiti said...

I was also shocked when I saw of her passing at Laura's blog- thank you for these extra links- I am looking forward to them-x